Although the minute-and-a-half-long clip doesn’t feature any footage from the show’s upcoming seven-episode installment, fans who stuck around till the end of the lengthy reveal were treated to an intriguing sneak peek.
Beginning chronologically with the Mad King’s rule, the teaser uses voiceovers to touch on significant events of the previous six seasons—including Ned Stark’s beheading, the Red Wedding and Cersei Lannister’s ascension to the Iron Throne—as giant stone versions of the major house sigils crumble to ash.
The clip ends with a new line of dialogue from Jon Snow that seems to foreshadow the coming battle between the White Walkers and the living. “There is only one war that matters. The Great War. And it is here,” he says as the camera pans out to what appears to be the vivid blue eye of the Night’s King.
Game of Thrones returns to HBO for a seventh season on July 16, 2017.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org