The Azure Window, Malta’s picturesque limestone arch where Daenerys Targaryen married Khal Drogo in the pilot of Game of Thrones, collapsed into the Mediterranean Sea after a heavy storm on Wednesday.
“Reports commissioned over the years indicated that this landmark would be hard hit by unavoidable natural corrosion,” said Joseph Muscat, Malta’s prime minister, tweeted on Wednesday. “That sad day arrived.”
“It is a very sad day for Malta. The iconic Azure Window collapsed this morning, succumbing to the forces of nature and the passage of time,” the country’s official tourism site added, via Twitter.
A 2013 study of the landmark indicated that erosion was inevitable, according to the New York Times. In response, Malta instituted a $1500 ban for walking across the arch. No injuries were reported on Wednesday.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now