Nike will start selling a hijab for Muslim female athletes.
CNN reported that the athletic brand began working on the performance hijab after female athletes complained about wearing head scarfs during competition. Nike’s version of the hijab — called the “Nike Pro Hijab” — adheres to the Muslim tradition, but features breathable holes that will make it more comfortable to wear for physical activity.
According to CNN, figure skater Zahra Lari is already sporting Nike’s new design. “I was thrilled and a bit emotional,” Lari said in a statement to CNN. “I’ve tried so many different hijabs for performance, and … so few of them actually work for me. But once I put it on and took it for a spin on the ice, I was blown away by the fit and the light weight.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Samantha Cooney at firstname.lastname@example.org