“122 vicious prisoners, released by the Obama Administration from Gitmo, have returned to the battlefield. Just another terrible decision!” Trump tweeted Tuesday morning.
But Trump’s accusation is inaccurate. As of July 15, 2016, a total of 693 Guantanamo Bay detainees had been transferred — 122 of whom were confirmed to have reengaged in terrorist activities, according to a report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
Of those 122 people, 113 were released under former President George W. Bush. Just nine were released under Obama.
Trump’s tweet followed a Fox & Friends segment on a U.S. airstrike in Yemen that killed a former Guantanamo Bay detainee.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time