Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced he would recuse himself from any investigations involving President Trump’s campaign, following reports that he did not disclose meeting with the Russian ambassador.
At a press conference at the Department of Justice, Sessions said that his meetings with the Russian official were not improper, saying the decision stemmed from his role as a campaign surrogate.
“I should not be involved in investigating a campaign I had a role in,” he said.
Read a running transcript of Sessions remarks.
Check back for a complete transcript later.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment