Today’s example, however, comes courtesy of the White House Press Corps. The reporters are having a challenging season under the new president, with certain outlets barred from participating in press conferences, so looks like America’s dad (and guardian of democracy?) Hanks wanted to send them a useful cheer-up gift. His tribute: an espresso machine and uplifting, typewritten note, all the crucial ingredients for the press to stay woke.
“Keep up the good fight for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Especially for the Truth part,” he wrote, clearly championing the freedom of the press and its fact-checking role.
As it turns out, this particular contribution to keeping the spirit of American democracy alive and well is not actually new for Hanks. CNN political reporter Jake Tapper points out that he’s sent espresso machines to the Press Corps twice before in the last few years. Looks like his commitment to “Truth, Justice, and the American Way” is nonpartisan and spans presidencies—even if he gave the Corps some extra encouragement in his note this time around.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve