“Trump lies more in one press conference than CNN does in a year — and that’s coming from a guy who hates CNN,” Stewart said.
Stewart said Trump lies on purpose. “You wanna know how I know how? Because he constantly says the phrase ‘believe me,'” Stewart said. “Nobody says ‘believe me’ unless they are lying.”
When Colbert asked what Stewart thought of Trump’s White House excluding members from news outlets like CNN, The New York Times, Politico and others from a daily briefing last week, the former Daily Show host addressed his critique to the media.
“It is time for you to get your groove back, media. Because let’s face facts, you kind of let yourself go a little bit for these past few years,” he said. “You put on a few pundits. Obsessing, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, about this one guy.”
Watch the clip above.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms