The White House released excerpts of the address shortly before it began on Tuesday evening. He promised to create millions of jobs, defeat ISIS, and opened the door to immigration reform
“We just need the courage to share the dreams that fill our hearts,” he will say. “The bravery to express the hopes that stir our souls. And the confidence to turn those hopes and dreams to action. From now on, America will be empowered by our aspirations – not burdened by our fears.”
Trump previewed his message during an interview with Fox News on Tuesday morning. The President was expected to deliver an optimistic and forward-looking speech that’s big on ideas but short on how things will actually get done. Trump’s speech comes shortly before the official release of his first budget, which will reportedly include a proposal for a $54 billion increase in defense spending.
Congressional Democrats were ready to counter-program the President, with some planning to bring guests from immigrant communities and other groups that have felt marginalized by Trump’s initial weeks in office.
Trump was scheduled to speak at 9 p.m. E.T. You can watch it live above.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer