The Oscars Best Picture flub may dominate headlines, but the moment that really stole the show didn’t involve La La Land, Moonlight, or even a red envelope, but an affable man from Chicago named Gary.
During the show, host Jimmy Kimmel decided to prank a busload of tourists, arranging for them to be walked through the Oscars and meet the stars. One member of the tour group was a man who introduced himself as Gary and he quickly captured the heart of viewers (and Twitter) with his honesty, charm, and unmistakable ease at finding himself in front of an A-list crowd and cameras broadcasting him to the entire world.
During his time on camera, Gary, who was accompanied by his equally affable fiancée Vicki, took selfies with Meryl Streep, touched Mahershala Ali’s Oscar statuette, and was pronounced husband and wife by Vicki’s favorite actor, Denzel Washington. When Kimmel said to Gary: “I feel like you’re ignoring the white celebrities.” Gary coolly responded to Kimmel: “Yes, I am.” Soon, the hashtag #GaryFromChicago was trending on Twitter.
The couple is schedule to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Monday night and, according to ABC 7, Blackish star Anthony Anderson has offered to marry the Chicago couple on the show, noting that unlike Denzel, he is qualified to perform the ceremony.
Other perks are already beginning to roll in for the couple, too, including free tickets from the Chicago Bulls.
Can their own reality show be far behind? Not according to Twitter.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org