During the Carnival’s parade, the last float of samba school Paraiso de Tuiuti collided with a fence, trapping and injuring people watching from the stands, the Associated Press reports. A journalist at the event was reportedly left with an exposed fracture.
At least three people were injured seriously, but organizers proceeded with the festivities. Police opened an investigation into what caused the crash, which will focus on one of the float’s drivers, police investigator William Lourenco Bezerra said.
The event is thought to be the biggest Carnival in the world and is estimated to attract about a million tourists.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time