During the Carnival’s parade, the last float of samba school Paraiso de Tuiuti collided with a fence, trapping and injuring people watching from the stands, the Associated Press reports. A journalist at the event was reportedly left with an exposed fracture.
At least three people were injured seriously, but organizers proceeded with the festivities. Police opened an investigation into what caused the crash, which will focus on one of the float’s drivers, police investigator William Lourenco Bezerra said.
The event is thought to be the biggest Carnival in the world and is estimated to attract about a million tourists.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption