In a powerful new commercial made for Nike Middle East, the brand prominently features Arab and Muslim women athletes exercising and competing. The clip opens with a women running in a hijab as pedestrians stare at her. The rest of the footage shows women in the suburbs of Dubai running, skateboarding, fencing, boxing, and ice skating bolstered a narrator who says, “what will they say about you? Maybe they’ll say you exceeded all expectations.”
The commercial touches on an issue that many women in the Middle East face daily while trying engage in an active and healthy lifestyle, and it even got a shout-out from Sara al-Zawqari, a spokewoman for the International Red Cross in Iraq, who took to her Twitter to voice her support of the clip.
Watch the full commercial below.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This