At Wednesday’s BRIT Awards, unstoppable DJ duo The Chainsmokers and British rockers Coldplay debuted a collaboration in the form of a new single, “Something Just Like This.” The surprise live performance convened the musicians for a track that meshes Coldplay’s tendency towards soaring, instrumental stadium rock and The Chainsmoker’s sweet spot for electronic drops.
The tune calls back to the orchestral chords of “Viva La Vida” and the more melancholy refrains of “Paris,” undercut with some snazzy guitar riffs. In other words, it’s pretty much guaranteed to do well on the charts and satisfy fans of both groups.
The vocals, meanwhile, come courtesy of Chris Martin’s signature mix of gruffness and lyrical phrasing. “I’m not looking for somebody with some superhuman gifts/ Some superhero, some fairytale bliss / Just something I can turn to, somebody I can miss,” he sings in the chorus. Give it a listen, above.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive