At Wednesday’s BRIT Awards, unstoppable DJ duo The Chainsmokers and British rockers Coldplay debuted a collaboration in the form of a new single, “Something Just Like This.” The surprise live performance convened the musicians for a track that meshes Coldplay’s tendency towards soaring, instrumental stadium rock and The Chainsmoker’s sweet spot for electronic drops.
The tune calls back to the orchestral chords of “Viva La Vida” and the more melancholy refrains of “Paris,” undercut with some snazzy guitar riffs. In other words, it’s pretty much guaranteed to do well on the charts and satisfy fans of both groups.
The vocals, meanwhile, come courtesy of Chris Martin’s signature mix of gruffness and lyrical phrasing. “I’m not looking for somebody with some superhuman gifts/ Some superhero, some fairytale bliss / Just something I can turn to, somebody I can miss,” he sings in the chorus. Give it a listen, above.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears