The elusive, prestigious EGOT—ascribed to any person who has won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony—has only been achieved by 15 people who are EGOT winners (not counting recipients of honorary awards, or Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock). John Legend just got the statue he needed to become an EGOT winner. He won Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for Creative Arts Emmy Awards a the 2018 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and became the first black man to achieve this status. Though Legend, at 39, is among the youngest EGOT winners, he is not actually the youngest. That distinction goes to songwriter Robert Lopez, who achieved EGOT status at age 38. He achieved EGOT status alongside Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
He joined the esteemed company of artists like composer Richard Rogers (the first person to complete an EGOT, in 1962), Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks and Whoopi Goldberg. Below are some of the artists are “almost egot winners” also known as, just one award away from becoming an EGOT winner.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.