The elusive, prestigious EGOT—ascribed to any person who has won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony—has only been achieved by 15 people who are EGOT winners (not counting recipients of honorary awards, or Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock). John Legend just got the statue he needed to become an EGOT winner. He won Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for Creative Arts Emmy Awards a the 2018 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and became the first black man to achieve this status. Though Legend, at 39, is among the youngest EGOT winners, he is not actually the youngest. That distinction goes to songwriter Robert Lopez, who achieved EGOT status at age 38. He achieved EGOT status alongside Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
He joined the esteemed company of artists like composer Richard Rogers (the first person to complete an EGOT, in 1962), Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks and Whoopi Goldberg. Below are some of the artists are “almost egot winners” also known as, just one award away from becoming an EGOT winner.
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction