The elusive, prestigious EGOT—ascribed to any person who has won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony—has only been achieved by 15 people who are EGOT winners (not counting recipients of honorary awards, or Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock). John Legend just got the statue he needed to become an EGOT winner. He won Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for Creative Arts Emmy Awards a the 2018 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and became the first black man to achieve this status. Though Legend, at 39, is among the youngest EGOT winners, he is not actually the youngest. That distinction goes to songwriter Robert Lopez, who achieved EGOT status at age 38. He achieved EGOT status alongside Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
He joined the esteemed company of artists like composer Richard Rogers (the first person to complete an EGOT, in 1962), Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks and Whoopi Goldberg. Below are some of the artists are “almost egot winners” also known as, just one award away from becoming an EGOT winner.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time