The elusive, prestigious EGOT—ascribed to any person who has won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony—has only been achieved by 15 people who are EGOT winners (not counting recipients of honorary awards, or Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock). John Legend just got the statue he needed to become an EGOT winner. He won Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for Creative Arts Emmy Awards a the 2018 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and became the first black man to achieve this status. Though Legend, at 39, is among the youngest EGOT winners, he is not actually the youngest. That distinction goes to songwriter Robert Lopez, who achieved EGOT status at age 38. He achieved EGOT status alongside Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
He joined the esteemed company of artists like composer Richard Rogers (the first person to complete an EGOT, in 1962), Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks and Whoopi Goldberg. Below are some of the artists are “almost egot winners” also known as, just one award away from becoming an EGOT winner.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out