Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested an undocumented woman at a Texas courthouse last week, right after the court granted her a protective order against an allegedly abusive boyfriend, according to reports.
The woman had been at the El Paso County Courthouse on Feb. 9 seeking protection from her boyfriend when the ICE agents detained and arrested her. ICE had received a tip about the woman’s immigration status, the El Paso Times reports.
“This is really unprecedented,” Jo Anne Bernal, El Paso County Attorney, told the Washington Post. “It has an incredible chilling effect for all undocumented victims of any crime in our community.”
An ICE spokesperson declined to comment to the El Paso Times. Bernal’s office is investigating the incident, she said.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time