Abigail Williams and Liberty German were dropped off near a bridge towards the east of Delphi, Ind. around lunchtime on Monday. The girls were supposed to meet back at the bridge later on but failed to return.
German posted a photo to her Snapchat showing Williams on the bridge, the last time either girl was seen.
Sergeant Kim Riley of the Indiana State Police said at a press conference that foul play was suspected but did not directly identify the bodies as the two teens, The Indy Channel reports.
The Delphi Community Schools Corporation did however send students home with a letter that said the bodies were those of the missing girls. “It is our understanding that the two bodies found today were those of our two missing Delphi Community Middle School students” the letter said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Zamira Rahim at email@example.com