The first of the ‘Book of Dust’ trilogy will be published this fall around the world and will be set in London and Oxford, The Guardian reports.
Lyra Belacqua, Pullman’s heroine from the previous trilogy will return in the first two books, appearing first as a baby and then as a twenty year old, with the plot running parallel to that in His Dark Materials. The author said on Twitter that the new trilogy was neither a sequel nor a prequel to those in the original series but instead more an “equel”.
The Book of Dust will focus on “the struggle between a despotic and totalitarian organization, which wants to stifle speculation and inquiry, and those who believe thought and speech should be free,” Pullman said.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.