Trump and Trudeau will sit for a working lunch and participate in a roundtable discussion about women in the workforce, which was reportedly spearheaded by Ivanka Trump. Canada and the U.S. will launch a task force on the issue, titled the United States Canada Council for the Advancement of Women Business Leaders-Female Entrepreneurs, the Associated Press reports.
The two leaders will then host a joint press conference at the White House.
Ideologically, the two leaders couldn’t be more different — Trudeau has been hailed by liberals, while Trump is a Republican who has appointed staunch conservatives to top posts across the federal government. After Trump announced an executive order barring Syrian refugees and temporarily blocking travel from seven majority-Muslim countries, Trudeau tweeted that Canada is a welcoming place for all. But given the important trade relationship between the U.S. and Canada, the two leaders expect to find common ground during their Monday meeting.
Trudeau said in a news conference last week that he will “defend and demonstrate Canadian values” during the meeting and that he would do so “respectfully and not from an ideological standpoint.”
Watch Trump and Trudeau’s White House press conference live above starting at about 2 p.m. ET.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List