Jake Gyllenhaal is a beloved dramatic actor, of course. But fans are thrilled to discover he’s also in possession of an unexpected talent: a singing voice worthy of the stage. Gyllenhaal is taking to Broadway for the Sondheim musical Sunday in the Park with George, opening later this month, and he released a teaser video of his rehearsal in which he belts out the haunting, thoughtful tune “Finishing the Hat.” It nabbed over half a million views in less than a day.
Gyllenhaal had noted director Cary Fukunaga (of True Detective and Beasts of No Nation) on hand during rehearsal, so the casual backstage video is actually more of a polished clip than you might expect. And fans (including fellow actor Ryan Reynolds) have plenty of praise for Gyllenhaal’s singing—which is buttery and on-tune, even during the song’s tricky key changes.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time