Jake Gyllenhaal is a beloved dramatic actor, of course. But fans are thrilled to discover he’s also in possession of an unexpected talent: a singing voice worthy of the stage. Gyllenhaal is taking to Broadway for the Sondheim musical Sunday in the Park with George, opening later this month, and he released a teaser video of his rehearsal in which he belts out the haunting, thoughtful tune “Finishing the Hat.” It nabbed over half a million views in less than a day.
Gyllenhaal had noted director Cary Fukunaga (of True Detective and Beasts of No Nation) on hand during rehearsal, so the casual backstage video is actually more of a polished clip than you might expect. And fans (including fellow actor Ryan Reynolds) have plenty of praise for Gyllenhaal’s singing—which is buttery and on-tune, even during the song’s tricky key changes.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement