Steve Bannon has had an unusual path to working in the White House.
After growing up in a working-class Irish Catholic Democratic family in Virginia, Bannon served in the U.S. Navy, worked as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs, produced movies and ran the the conservative website Breitbart News before going to work for Trump’s campaign.
A recent TIME cover story asked if Bannon is “the second most powerful man in the world” for the role he has played since Trump moved into the Oval Office.
In his job as a strategist for President Trump, Bannon helped draft the uncharacteristically dark inaugural address, pushed the controversial travel ban, criticized the mainstream media and negotiated a standing invitation to the National Security Council.
See a gallery of rare photographs of Steve Bannon’s life.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time