Canadian rock band Nickelback has turned into the universal butt of most music jokes. So when Esquire compared The Chainsmokers to the rockers, the chart-topping DJ duo behind earworms like “Closer” decided to clap back in appropriately self-deprecating style: with a tongue-in-cheek rendition of Nickelback’s wildly successful (and critically derided) hit song, “How You Remind Me.”
In a short video clip posted to Twitter, Chainsmoker Alex Pall plays piano while singer Drew Taggart launches into the lyrics of their latest track, “Paris,” before segueing into a spot-on acoustic Nickelback cover. From the husky voice to the intense emotional commitment, Taggart gives it his all; the video cuts off before even reaching the chorus, since Pall can’t contain his laughter. Frankly, if this whole Chainsmoker thing ever goes south, we see a future for Taggart as a Chad Kroeger impersonator. In the meantime, looks like the duo are shaking off the criticisms with humor to spare.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive