Correction appended, Feb. 1
“Islam is peace,” President Bush said in a speech at the Islamic Centre in Washington, D.C. shortly after the World Trade Center attacks. “America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and Muslims make an incredibly valuable contribution to our country.”
Bush Hager wrote on Twitter that the excerpt was a reminder “to teach acceptance and love to our kids.” Her post followed continued outcry over President Trump’s immigration restrictions on citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries.
Read the excerpt of Bush’s speech that his daughter posted below:
Correction: The original version of this story incorrectly described Jenna Bush Hager’s Twitter post. The words were from a speech her father, former President George W. Bush, gave shortly after 9/11, not from Jenna Bush Hager herself.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time