Samantha Bee, host of the TBS comedy show Full Frontal With Samantha Bee, is planning a roast of President Trump on the same night as the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner. Her gala, to be called “Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner,” will take place at the Willard Hotel in Washington on April 29, the New York Times reports.
The traditional dinner sees the President, First Lady and members of the administration and White House press corps in attendance. Bee told the Times that her event is not meant to compete with the annual dinner.
“We’re not trying to supersede it,” Bee said. “We just want to be there in case something happens — or doesn’t happen — and ensure that we get to properly roast the president.”
The official dinner usually features a comedic host targeting jokes at the President and attendees, as well as a speech — often humorous — delivered by the Commander-in-Chief. President Obama used the opportunity in 2011 to mock Trump, then a guest.
The 2017 host is yet to be announced, and relations between the White House and the press have become fraught with Trump recently declaring that he is engaged in a “running war” with the media.
“The evening is sure to bring plenty of surprises, music, food, and laughter — and if you’re not careful you just might learn something,” Bee said in a statement given to Variety. “Specifically, you’ll learn how screwed we’d be without a free press.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating