Fences star Viola Davis was nominated for an Academy Award this morning, and after her emotional Golden Globes speech, fans are wondering how she’ll prepare for the February awards ceremony. But in an interview with Michael Strahan before the nominees were announced, the award-winning actress revealed one fan who can’t wait for the big night: her mother.
“My mom called me today… She said she wanted to go to the Oscars. I thought that was shocking. If you knew her you’d know how shocking that is. Most of the time she just wants to go to the track to play the slot machines,” Davis told Strahan.
She also said that her success — like her recently awarded star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame — has reminded her of her humble beginnings. “I just had a moment of seeing that little girl from Central Falls, who just wanted a meal, who just wanted to have a house and a bed of her own, and I thought to myself, ‘Oh my, God has blessed me,'” Davis said of the ceremony unveiling her star.
Though she hasn’t penned her Oscar speech yet, she’s working on perfecting the red carpet look: “Right now, I’m working on trying to fit into that Oscar dress, because I know what it looks like,” Davis joked.
[h/t ABC News]
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms