U.K. opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn raised the idea of female-only passenger cars in 2015 to tackle harassment. Critics said segregating women would signal defeat on the issue.
In the Chinese city of Zhengzhou, the introduction of women-only buses featuring pink fluffy toys has riled feminists who said they encourage stereotyping.
Women-only cabs (below) in conservative Dubai might reduce the risks of sexual assault, but they have been criticized for reinforcing gender segregation.
This appears in the January 30, 2017 issue of TIME.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer