The actor experienced technical difficulties during her speech to introduce and honor Tyler Perry with the Favorite Humanitarian award at the People’s Choice Awards on Wednesday night. Once the teleprompter went out, Bell remained calm and was transparent with the audience about her struggle.
“I feel like just a moment ago I really pulled the curtain and showed some vulnerability,” she said, according to Entertainment Weekly. “I was, in fact, using a teleprompter, and I’m embarrassed that I didn’t memorize it.”
However, she didn’t linger on the topic, choosing instead highlight Perry and his good deeds. Perry, for his part, accepted his award and presented a $100,000 donation from Enterprise Car Rental to the Global Medical Relief Fund.
“What I have found, and what is so important to me right now,” he said, “is that as I look at the state of the world and the state of our country and everything that is going on, it is so important that we know no matter how dark it gets, we all have to be light for each other.”
Watch the full speech below.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart