Octavia’s Spencer‘s admiration for Taraji P. Henson is anything but hidden.
The Oscar-winning actress paid tribute to her Hidden Figures costar on Instagram after the crowd-pleasing film continued to rule the box-office, notching its second consecutive week at No. 1.
“Shout out and tip of the hat to my sis @tarajiphenson,” Spencer, 46, wrote, as she posted a smiling snapshot of Henson, 46. “She tops the box office two weeks in a row.”
“Now before people weigh in… yes, @janellemonae and I put work in on this film, and we gladly take our bows,” she added, name-checking their costar Janelle Monáe, 31. “But, if this movie had tanked Taraji would have taken the flack. So, in the spirit of living the dream and advocating for my sisters, so proud of you sis. Glad to be your wing woman. Dun dun dun… don’t you know that we’re able. That alone makes us major.”
Hidden Figures tells the true story of three trailblazing African-American women —Katherine Johnson (Henson), Dorothy Vaughn (Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Monae) — who worked at NASA and helped launch the first Americans into orbit, and later helped the country win the space race against Russia.
The film has been a critical and commercial success, taking in $54 million at the box office after four weeks in theaters and surprising pundits with its tremendous staying power.
It has also become a key player this awards season: Spencer snagged a Golden Globe nomination for her supporting turn as Vaughn, and the film’s ensemble is also nominated for outstanding motion picture cast at the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Jan. 29.
This article originally appeared on People.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement