Among the many things that First Lady Michelle Obama will be remembered for, her personal style stands out. Her embrace of the American fashion industry was never more apparent than when she was wearing J. Crew, the affordable (as far as First Lady fashion goes) ready-to-wear line.
Throughout her eight years at the White House, she consistently relied on the brand’s easy-to-wear staple pieces like ballet flats, slim skirts, accessories like gloves and belts, and of course, those ubiquitous cardigans. Women across the nation could relate to the First Lady’s affinity for a cute sweater and a good deal. As we say goodbye to Obama, here’s a look back at her best style moments wearing J. Crew.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
During an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ahead of the 2008 election, Obama wore an all-J. Crew look, where each piece retailed for under $200.
The embellished J. Crew cardigan and mint green J. Crew pencil skirt that Obama wore on her first official trip to the U.K. as First Lady was instantly popular, with the cardigan selling out mere hours after she appeared in it.
When The First Lady returned to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno she re-wore the J. Crew mint pencil skirt, nearly four years after she was spotted wearing it during a 2009 trip to the UK.