Donald Trump is the 45th president of the United States. He follows in the footsteps of 44 others, all the way back to George Washington, who took the first oath of office in 1789.
When Trump swore on a Bible at his inauguration last month to protect and defend the Constitution, several of those former presidents were in attendance: Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, along with outgoing President Obama.
See how well you know the former commanders-in-chief by putting them in the correct order in the interactive below. Tap and drag the portraits to put each president under the dates he was in office:
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was