During a Tuesday appearance on TODAY to promote his new Broadway musical A Bronx Tale, the 73-year-old actor was asked if he thinks the calls to oppose Friday’s inaugural events are “warranted.”
“Yeah, I think they are,” he told anchor Matt Lauer. “I think that whatever people do they should do it fully because there’s a lot of crazy stuff happening now — it’s just crazy. And maybe it’s an act and we’ll see once [Trump’s] in, but you know, everybody has to be on guard.”
De Niro was vocal about his stance on Trump leading up to the election, calling him, “a bulls—t artist … who doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” in an October interview for the #VoteYourFuture campaign.
Watch the full TODAY clip below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org