Biden turned his back to cameras and those in the crowd to wipe away tears moments after Obama announced he was bestowing the vice president with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
“I had no inkling,” Biden said after the emotional moment.
Obama was paying tribute to Biden, who he called “my brother” and “a lion of American history,” when he suddenly invited a military aide to join them with the medal.
Biden first shook his head in disbelief and then kept his eyes facing skyward while taking deep breaths as Obama prepared to tie the medal around Biden’s neck. The two then hugged.
“This honor is not only well beyond what I deserve , but it’s a reflection of the extent and generosity of your spirit. I don’t deserve this, but I know it came from the President’s heart,” Biden said.
“It’s an amazing thing that happened,” Biden added, recalling the start of their friendship. “I knew how smart you were. I knew how honorable you were. I knew how decent you were … I am indebted to you. I am indebted to your friendship.”
At the start of the news conference, Obama made a reference to the many memes circulated the internet about the pair’s friendship. “This also gives the internet one last chance to talk about our bromance,” Obama said.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart