Mahershala Ali is making waves for his performance in the Golden Globe-winning film, Moonlight, as well as his memorable role in Luke Cage. Casting directors across the land may be kicking themselves for not hiring him, but there’s one show that Ali knows doesn’t want him—Game of Thrones.
Ali claims that he had a “terrible” audition for Game of Thrones. “That was one of the worst auditions of my life,” said Ali, recounting the tale of his humiliating try-out on Wednesday’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! . Turns out that the botched audition wasn’t entirely his fault, though.
Ali told Jimmy Kimmel that he was very prepared to audition for the role of a merchant. He had memorized all his lines and practiced what he dubbed “power moves” that would land him a job in Westeros. All he needed to succeed was a chair. Unfortunately HBO didn’t have any chairs in the audition room and it all went downhill from there.
Luckily, Kimmel had some advice for the actor: “Bring a chair with you next time.”
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time