In just over a week, the Obama family will move out of the White House. Michelle Obama will no longer be First Lady. There are, not surprisingly, quite a few people rather cut up about this.
Enter Jimmy Fallon, who hosted the First Lady on The Tonight Show on Wednesday. The pièce de résistance of her visit was a rare break from comedy — instead, Fallon solicited Americans to record farewell greetings to Obama, only then to have the First Lady herself interrupt them on set.
“Yesterday I was eating pizza bites in my bed and today I’m meeting the First Lady!” one participant said when Obama appeared from behind the curtain.
There were not a lot of dry eyes. Watch the clip above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement