With President Obama leaving the White House, many of his supporters have grown nostalgic for his eight years in office.
But as the President prepares for his final days in office, it can be hard to remember how different his first few days were, with the economy in crisis and a contentious election just behind him.
Here’s a look back at some photos of Obama’s first few days in office. Pictures are by Callie Shell for TIME and official White House photographer Pete Souza, who were the only photographers with access to him on those days.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time