With President Obama leaving the White House, many of his supporters have grown nostalgic for his eight years in office.
But as the President prepares for his final days in office, it can be hard to remember how different his first few days were, with the economy in crisis and a contentious election just behind him.
Here’s a look back at some photos of Obama’s first few days in office. Pictures are by Callie Shell for TIME and official White House photographer Pete Souza, who were the only photographers with access to him on those days.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science