George Clooney acted alongside Meryl Streep for the stop-motion Wes Anderson adaption of Roald Dahl’s The Fantastic Mr. Fox, when the starry duo played crafty vulpines.
So of course the actor had something to say in response to president-elect Donald Trump’s tweet that Streep is “overrated” after she criticized him in her Golden Globes acceptance speech.
“I’ve always said that about Meryl,” Clooney told PEOPLE with wry humor. “She’s maybe the most overrated actress of all-time. She and I worked together on Fantastic Mr. Fox as husband and wife, and I will tell you even as a fox, a female fox, she’s overrated,” he added.
He did have a follow-up question for the president-elect whose personal Twitter use has been questioned. “Aren’t you supposed to be running the country?” he told PEOPLE.
Like Streep, Clooney was a public Hillary Clinton supporter during the 2016 campaign.
Although Trump said he had not seen Streep’s remarks, Trump told the New York Times he was “not surprised” that he had come under attack from “liberal movie people.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms