A 5-year-old Ohio girl was found dead inside her parents’ restaurant about a day after she was reported missing, and her parents have been charged in connection to her murder, police said Tuesday.
Authorities found the body of Ashley Zhao “concealed” inside Ang’s Asian Cuisine in North Canton, Jackson Township Police said in a statement. The discovery came several hours after the police department issued a public call for help in finding the missing girl.
The little girl’s parents told authorities that they believed their daughter wandered out a back door of the restaurant about 9 p.m. on Monday, police said.
Ashley Zhao / Courtesy Jackson Township Police
Zhao’s mother, Mingming Chen, has been charged with murder, and the girl’s father, Liang Zhao, was charged with complicity to murder and complicity to commit felonious assault, according to the Associated Press.
Chen is accused of hitting the child several times with her fist on the morning she was reported missing, the AP reports. Police say the injuries she sustained resulted in her death.
The incident is under investigation. The girl had just turned 5 less than two weeks ago, according to the Canton Repository.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com