Add Mozart in the Jungle actress Lola Kirke to the growing list of celebrities making waves in political discourse. The Amazon star and sister of Girls actress Jemima Kirke didn’t mean to start a conversation about her armpit hair, but she recently responded to critics who sent her death threats for not shaving before the Golden Globes.
“Thanks to all you beautiful people who didn’t send me death threats on account of my #awesome #hairyarmpits! You rule,” Kirke wrote on Instagram. It seems the bar for 2017 is set so low that not sending death threats is a marker of a good person.
Kirke’s Golden Globes look also attracted attention for the pink “F*ck Paul Ryan” pin that blended in with her gown. “Paul Ryan is talking about defunding Planned Parenthood. I think that, along with a number of other decisions that are being talked about being made by the new administration, is atrocious,” Kirke told ELLE. “As a person with a platform, no matter what size it is, I think it’s important to share your views. My body my choice, your body your choice.”
[h/t Huffington Post]
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.