Add Mozart in the Jungle actress Lola Kirke to the growing list of celebrities making waves in political discourse. The Amazon star and sister of Girls actress Jemima Kirke didn’t mean to start a conversation about her armpit hair, but she recently responded to critics who sent her death threats for not shaving before the Golden Globes.
“Thanks to all you beautiful people who didn’t send me death threats on account of my #awesome #hairyarmpits! You rule,” Kirke wrote on Instagram. It seems the bar for 2017 is set so low that not sending death threats is a marker of a good person.
Kirke’s Golden Globes look also attracted attention for the pink “F*ck Paul Ryan” pin that blended in with her gown. “Paul Ryan is talking about defunding Planned Parenthood. I think that, along with a number of other decisions that are being talked about being made by the new administration, is atrocious,” Kirke told ELLE. “As a person with a platform, no matter what size it is, I think it’s important to share your views. My body my choice, your body your choice.”
[h/t Huffington Post]
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve