Ethereal dresses and frou-frou princess gowns on the red carpet—to be expected. But pantsuits? Surprisingly not, despite it being 2017. At the 74th Golden Globes, three women eschewed tradition and opted for a power suit, and looked completely badass as a result.
Westworld star Evan Rachel Wood, who has made pantsuits something like her sartorial armor, chose an impeccably tailored custom Altuzarra number to send a much bigger message. “This is my third nomination,” Wood said to Ryan Seacrest on the carpet. “I’ve been to the Globes six times. I’ve worn a dress every time. And I love dresses. I’m not trying to protest dresses. But I want to make sure that young girls and women know they aren’t a requirement and that you don’t have to wear one if you don’t want to. Just be yourself, because your worth is more than that.” (Her pantsuit also paid homage to the late David Bowie, “because it’s his birthday,” she said.)
RELATED: Evan Rachel Wood Won’t Stop Wearing This One Outfit
Octavia Spencer, too, followed suit with her navy satin-lapeled crisp separates by Laura Basci, while Kathryn Hahn chose to offset her suit’s masculinity with a hint of femme fatale and added a black leather bralette underneath her sharp black blazer. We’re obsessed.
Head over to InStyle for more Golden Globes coverage.
This article originally appeared on InStyle.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement