It’s decision day for the President-elect, who will be briefed by the nation’s top intelligence officials Friday about their conclusions on Russian hacking. Trump, who has thus far refused to concede that Russia was behind the hacks of the DNC and John Podesta’s email account, will be given access to the most sensitive raw data, including the sources and methods that officials say proves Russia’s culpability and intent. The issue has pitted Trump against many in his own party, who have been placed in the difficult position of accepting the intelligence community’s assessment while trying to avoid upsetting the incoming president.While Trump has been briefed on prior occasions, he’s continued to publicly sow doubts, but many Republicans are hopeful that once he views the raw intelligence that Trump will finally change his tune on the issue and publicly blame Russia. If he doesn’t, he could find himself further isolated both from the bureaucracy reporting to him and his would-be allies on Capitol Hill.
Trump’s Twitter feed upsets Washington. Joe Biden’s message to the president-elect. And a member of Trump’s transition team quits.
Here are your must reads:
Washington power brokers uneasy about the president-elect’s chaotic messaging [Politico]
But he says Mexico will pay later [CNN]
Trump looks to clean house [New York Times]
The new Senate Minority Leader says his party won’t sacrifice its values just to earn the “bipartisan” label [National Journal]
They agree on the conclusions, but question the process [Associated Press]
“Grow up, Donald. Grow up. Time to be an adult.” —Vice President Joe Biden on the President-elect’s tweets in an interview with PBS.
“He’s going to find that it’s easy to tweet about reactions to all kinds of issues, but to seriously deal with our national security and deal with the threats of our country is a business that’s ought to be done in the confines of the Oval Office.” —former CIA Director Leon Panetta on Trump to NBC.
Bits and Bites
Trump makes calls against Kasich’s pick for Ohio GOP chair [Cincinnati.com]
Former CIA director James Woolsey quits Trump transition team [Washington Post]
Trump restores power of Israeli ambassador [Politico]
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023