Michelle Obama’s door is open for incoming First Lady Melania Trump despite their political differences.
In her final White House interview, which aired Monday night on CBS, Obama revealed to Oprah Winfrey what she told Trump in their post-election meeting last month.
“My offer to Melania was, you really don’t know what you don’t know until you’re here, so the door is open, as I’ve told her and as Laura Bush told me and as other first ladies told me,” Obama said. “I’m not new in this ‘going high’ thing. I’m modeling what was done for me by the Bushes. And Laura Bush was nothing but gracious and helpful, and her team was right there for my team all throughout this entire eight-year process.”
Obama and Trump don’t have the smoothest history. Trump’s speech at the Republican National Convention plagiarized parts of a speech Obama delivered at the Democratic National Convention in 2008 — a gaffe Obama later joked was “tough.” But Obama says her priority now is helping her successor adjust to her new role.
“We will do whatever they need to help them succeed,” Obama said. “That’s one of the things I said to Melania: ‘When you get to a place where you can digest all of this and you have questions… my door is open.'”
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief