“You know, this—this past election was challenging for me as a—as a citizen. To watch and experience. It was painful,” Obama said during the interview.
She previously told People that she went to sleep before hearing the results of the election that ended with Donald Trump defeating Hillary Clinton, for whom Obama had campaigned heavily.
“You kind of saw the tea leaves,” Obama told Winfrey. “I kind of felt like how things were going by the time I went to bed.”
“So mentally, I’d already kind of digested it before I actually read it,” she added.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve