Felicity Jones reportedly raked in significantly more money than her male co-stars for Rogue One.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Academy-Award nominated actress negotiated a seven-figure upfront salary for her role in the blockbuster film, which topped the weekend box office with $155 million in ticket sales. Her male co-stars, by contrast, apparently only raked in six-figures for the newest Star Wars flick.
“I want to be paid fairly for the work that I’m doing. That’s what every single woman around the world wants,” Jones told Glamour last month about the topic of equal pay.“
Of course, Jones’ reported salary is a rarity in an industry where — like in most — women typically still make less than men. Emmy Rossum recently successfully pushed to get paid more than her male co-star William H. Macy for her leading role in Shameless after learning he had been paid more over the years. After hacked documents revealed Jennifer Lawrence were was paid less than her male co-stars for her role in American Hustle, Lawrence penned an essay vowing to negotiate for the salary she deserves.
For her part, Jones thinks talking about money will help close the gap. “It’s brave of those women to come forward and make a point about it,” Jones told Glamour. “Now younger actresses will have a confidence in those discussions with their agents and be able to say, ‘Can we make sure that I’m being paid the right amount for the work that I’m doing?'”
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases