Vampires, live-action occult role-playing games and forcible sodomy/cocaine fantasies have become major issues in the GOP primary in Florida’s 3rd congressional district.
Bet you didn’t think you’d read that when you woke up this morning. And no, this isn’t an April Fools hoax.
Jacob Rush, a 35-year-old attorney and former sheriff’s deputy for Alachua County, Fla., announced last month he is challenging incumbent tea-party Republican Rep. Ted Yoho for Florida’s 3rd congressional seat. Days later, according to the Miami Herald, an anonymous emailer began sending messages tipping off a local political blog to Rush’s longtime participation in the occult fantasy scene, Mind’s Eye Society, where players engage in both virtual and live-action roles, playing in a sort of Dungeons & Dragons world of magic, vampires and other supernatural creatures.
In the community, Rush, whose other hobbies include acting, took on various personas with different names. According to Saintpetersblog.com, Rush wrote on a message board in 2010, under the moniker Chazz Darling, the following graphic post [WARNING: Not suitable for children]:
Rush responded to the news with a statement that brushed off the revelation as overhyped and irrelevant, calling himself a “straight shooter.”
“As a practicing Christian, I am deeply offended that the opposing campaign and their supporters would take a gaming and theatre hobby and mischaracterize it,” Rush said in a statement. “Bottom line— there is nothing wrong with being a gamer. It’s kinda nerdy, but North Central Florida deserves a legitimate debate on the issues instead of Ted Yoho’s usual sideshow distractions.”
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?