Brooke Miranda Hughes, 18, had just begun her livestream moments before the fatal wreck on a highway in Tobyhanna, Pa., according to state police. The tractor-trailer plowed into the back of their car, the Scranton Times-Tribune reports.
Hughes and her 19-year-old passenger, Chaniya Morrison-Toomey, were killed. The other driver was not harmed. Pennsylvania State Trooper Dave Peters told the Times-Tribune that Hughes was driving slowly in the right lane of the highway on a spare tire.
The Facebook Live video reportedly shows a sudden flash of lights accompanied with the sound of screeching tires before darkness. It has since been taken down from her Facebook page, according to the Associated Press.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time