In La La Land—out Friday—Ryan Gosling plays an aspiring jazz musician who’s also quite light on his feet. The original movie musical gets Gosling and costar Emma Stone dancing many a time, where they waltz and tap like a modern-day Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
“You really dug deep into those Mickey Mouse Club roots,” Jimmy Kimmel said of Gosling’s performance when the child star visited his show Wednesday night. “I mean, that paid off in a big way in this particular film.”
“Oddly enough, I thought my background in 90’s hip-hop would help,” Gosling admitted, before explaining that he’s already forgotten the bulk of his more intricate dance training. But Kimmel asked him to dance—and leading man Gosling graciously did not turn him down. Cue the romantic music. Although the two got an awkward start, Kimmel eventually caught on to the importance of good posture and especially of piercing eye contact.
“I want to feel like I’m the only person in the room,” Gosling explained. And that’s why they pay him the big bucks. Watch above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time