Filmmaker Michael Moore made a direct plea to Donald Trump on Late Night on Wednesday night. He begged the president-elect to not repeat what Moore viewed as President George W. Bush’s “disengagement” before the attacks of 9/11.
“We suffered through 9/11,” Moore, who recently released the documentary Michael Moore in TrumpLand, told the host. “It’s something that we’re all concerned about and we kind of know in the back of our heads it will probably happen again, god forbid.”
Moore then addressed the president-elect directly beseeching him to attend national security briefings: “On our behalf you have to pay attention, you have to attend these briefings. This is our country. This is our security. This is our safety,” he said. “The number one job of the president is to make sure that the country is safe.”
Moore was one of the few political watchers to correctly predict Trump’s election victory. In August he published “5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win” on his website, in which he pointed to four traditionally Democratic states that he predicted Trump would win in 2016.
“Ever since then, people have been asking me for my help with their lotto numbers,” he joked on Late Night. Watch the full clip below.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This