Filmmaker Michael Moore made a direct plea to Donald Trump on Late Night on Wednesday night. He begged the president-elect to not repeat what Moore viewed as President George W. Bush’s “disengagement” before the attacks of 9/11.
“We suffered through 9/11,” Moore, who recently released the documentary Michael Moore in TrumpLand, told the host. “It’s something that we’re all concerned about and we kind of know in the back of our heads it will probably happen again, god forbid.”
Moore then addressed the president-elect directly beseeching him to attend national security briefings: “On our behalf you have to pay attention, you have to attend these briefings. This is our country. This is our security. This is our safety,” he said. “The number one job of the president is to make sure that the country is safe.”
Moore was one of the few political watchers to correctly predict Trump’s election victory. In August he published “5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win” on his website, in which he pointed to four traditionally Democratic states that he predicted Trump would win in 2016.
“Ever since then, people have been asking me for my help with their lotto numbers,” he joked on Late Night. Watch the full clip below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time