As the First Family gets ready to pack up 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Malia Obama is preparing for a different type of move of her own. Malia, who just graduated from high school, is taking a gap year before heading off to Harvard in the Fall. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama spoke to People in an exclusive interview about their daughters and seeing Malia get ready to leave for college.
Like many teens their age, President Obama said that Malia and Sasha are “ready to get out, get out of their parents’ house.” Granted, their “parents’ house” is the White House, but that doesn’t necessarily stop that teenage mentality. The president told People, “They’re ready to get out of the nest. We don’t think they’re ready, but they certainly think they’re ready.”
As much as the President and First Lady want to keep their daughters close, they acknowledge that their girls are growing up. President Obama said, “Malia’s going off to college. She’s a grown woman.” Michelle Obama, however, has a different take: “She’s still a baby.”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time