Of the two million apps that currently inhabit the App Store, Apple has singled out 20 that have proven to be the most popular in 2016. The company just published its annual best of the year lists, which include a compilation of the top 10 free and paid apps that dominated the App Store this year.
The most-downloaded free iPhone app in 2016 is Snapchat, which moved up from number five on last year’s list and is replacing Trivia Crack in the number one slot. Facebook Messenger remained the second most-downloaded app, while Pokémon Go was the third, taking Dubsmash’s spot from 2015.
Both Snapchat and Facebook Messenger saw significant changes and updates throughout the year. Snap Inc. just released Spectacles, smart camera glasses that connect to your phone to send first-person disappearing images and video. The company added new filters, 3D stickers, other updates to its Snapchat app this year as well. Facebook Messenger, meanwhile, saw the rollout of chat bots and integrations with more third party apps and games in 2016.
Pokémon Go quickly became a smash hit after it launched this past July, becoming bigger than Tinder and nearly surpassing Twitter’s daily active user count within days of its launch. Heads Up! and Minecraft Pocket Edition remain among the most popular paid apps of the year.
Here are the most downloaded free and paid iPhone apps of 2016.
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body