Emma Watson discovers the darker side of technology in the first trailer for The Circle, a film based on Dave Eggers’ 2013 novel about a young woman who joins a powerful tech company.
Watson plays Mae Holland, a recent college graduate who joins a company called The Circle, led by Tom Hanks’ Eamon Bailey. Although landing such a coveted position is appealing at first, Mae discovers as she gains more power within the company that things are not exactly so great—The Circle develops cameras called SeeChange, which are glass eyeballs that transmit footage in real-time, eroding any notion of privacy. Mae becomes a “pseudo-celebrity” through the technology, director James Ponsoldt told USA Today, which premiered the trailer on Monday.
“It’s a fun ride,” Ponsoldt said of the film. “We live through Mae. She is us. You will walk out of the theater and have a serious look at yourself and how you’re living your life.”
The film, which stars John Boyega as the programmer who develops the technology for SeeChange and Patton Oswalt as the company’s business minder, hits theaters on April 28. Watch the trailer below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time