For the 2016 Person of the Year issue, TIME commissioned Nadav Kander to photograph President-elect Donald Trump—the person deemed to have most influenced the year’s news, for better or worse—for the cover of the magazine.
Sharp-eyed readers may notice that this is not the first time that Kander has photographed the cover image for TIME’s Person of the Year issue. In fact, Kander took the cover portrait the last time an election-year President received the title, when President Barack Obama was Person of the Year in 2012.
For this issue, Kander also photographed the members of Trump’s inner circle.
Read more about why Donald Trump is 2016’s Person of the Year
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction